"Studying the Holocaust changed the way I make decisions." - Student

Monday, May 24, 2010

Outstanding educator and WSHERC board member Pat G. bringing Gerda Weissman Klein to Seattle!

Holocaust speaker coming to Kent: Gerda Weissman Klein the subject of Oscar-winning filmBy Laura Pierce
Kent Reporter Editor
May 20 2010, 7:00 PM

For Pat Gallagher, a visit from a holocaust survivor next month is the culmination of a 14-year friendship, rich in meaning and poignant with remembrance.

Gallagher, an instructional facilitator at the Kent Mountainview Academy, along with students of the Kent School District, will be welcoming Gerda Weissman Klein, a renowned human rights speaker and Nazi labor-camp survivor, when she comes to speak June 7 at a holocaust symposium that Gallagher has organized.

Klein, whose memoir "All But My Life" was the basis of the Oscar-winning documentary "One Survivor Remembers," has been a friend of Gallagher's since a chance meeting in 1996 read more...

1 comment:

  1. Even though I have been showing "One Survivor Remembers" to my 8th grade students for a number of years, I still find myself moved to tears by Gerda Weissman's voice as she tells her story. I can tell that my students' hearts are touched as well when the room falls silent and they begin to focus on Gerda's face. Their questions and comments always reflect awe and amazement for her humanity; especially when she says, "Nobel be man, merciful and good." This lesson is a gift.

    ReplyDelete