"Studying the Holocaust changed the way I make decisions." - Student

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Late Thank You

"A Late Thank You"

A letter from a student to a Holocaust survivor.*


Hi Al,

My name is xxxxx xxxxx, and I don't think you will remember me. But I met you four years ago when you came to xxxx High School and spoke in our auditorium. I am a senior now and I am taking a Holocaust and Genocide class, and for that class we had to read a book about a genocide and I chose to read your book.
Hearing your story once and reading it has made a huge difference in my life, because of hearing you my freshman year for my senior project I held an event called Camp Darfur in order to raise the awareness of the genocide going on in Sudan. Not only did I design postcards to be sent to President Obama but I also designed t-shirts and sold them to raise money for the millions of refugees. Overall I raised about $500 and sent it to an activist I worked with throughout my project, and she made sure that it got to a refugee camp and they used it for educational purposes.
And I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am that you were able to share your story at my high school, without hearing your story I think I wouldn't be the same person I am today.

For I went through a lot of troubles throughout my four years of high school but in every rough moment I had it just made me think of you and how I couldn't give up, I couldn't forget and I needed to stay strong so I can tell people of what happened during the Holocaust and all of the other genocides I am learning about. I also got your signature and the number that they tattooed on you written on a piece of paper, and that paper has never left my room.

I have met three survivors of genocides in my life so far and I have all of their signatures (yours included) and I wouldn't really like to get them tattooed on my body so I will never be able to forget about the stories I've heard and the horrendous crimes that people have been committing for such a long time now.

I don't think I can tell you thank you enough, you've really made a deep impression on my heart and there will always be a place for you as well as all of the other victims from the Holocaust in there.

One of my stories that I want to share with you is how I was close to committing suicide my junior year and I was about to swallow a bunch of pills when I looked over and saw your signature on my bulletin board and I felt extremely ridiculous for even thinking about committing suicide. Because I realized that if you can make it through the Holocaust and all those camps and the hardships that you went through then it means that I too can overcome the hardships in my life. You gave me hope, inspiration, and a new outlook on life. So I just wanted to send an email to you, wanting you to know how much gratitude and appreciation that I have for you. Thank you so incredibly much.

With love,

xxxxx xxxxxx


*Recently, Alter Wiener, a Holocaust survivor and member of both the Holocaust Center's Speakers Bureau and the Speakers Bureau of the Oregon Holocaust Resource Center, received this letter from a student. Alter Wiener is the author of From A Name To A Number.

1 comment: