"Studying the Holocaust changed the way I make decisions." - Student

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Changing Lives: How one student was affected by hearing a Holocaust survivor

Joseph J., wasn't sure what to expect when he learned that a Holocaust survivor would be coming to speak to his school in Montana.

Klaus S., a survivor of Auschwitz and member of the Holocaust Center's speakers bureau, shared his story with the Montana school back in 2001.

Last month, Klaus received a hand-written letter in the mail from Joseph:

October 4, 2009

Dear Mr. Stern,

I am writing you to say thank you. When I was a junior in high school, about 9 years ago, you came to tell us all your story of survival during the Holocaust. I just want to tell you that you became a personal hero of mine that day. You taught me that life is a precious gift from God and that love endures all and neither should be taken for granted.

Words really cannot describe how much I appreciate you sharing this part of your life with me and everyone else that day. Education is the key to preventing atrocities like this from happening again and you inspired me to dedicate a large portion of my life to studying the Holocaust and stories like yours so that someday I can share that knowledge with future minds.

Before I end this short letter I would again like to say from the bottom of my heart Thank You, Thank you for the gift of knowledge, thank you for sharing your story with so many people and touching so many lives.

Sincerely,

Joseph J.

No comments:

Post a Comment