"Studying the Holocaust changed the way I make decisions." - Student

Monday, July 7, 2014

Meet Our Summer 2014 Interns!




JULIA THOMPSON



Hello!  My name is Julia Thompson and this is my second summer as an intern here at WSHERC. I just finished my junior year as a History major at Whitman College (Walla Walla, WA), and I've been lucky enough to receive grants from Whitman both this year and last to work at the Center.

This past semester I had the amazing opportunity to study abroad in Prague. While in Europe I was able to travel around the Czech Republic and beyond. Exploring Europe, visiting World War II and Holocaust sites, and learning a huge amount about the region's history and culture has certainly made my work at the Holocaust Center this summer feel even more meaningful. 

Right now I am tackling several exciting projects: revamping and automating the Center's library, working on teaching kits with artifact replicas, and other tasks that come my way. When I'm not hard at work I enjoy hiking, reading, baking, and road trips. During the school year I'm a tutor at the Whitman Writing Center, active in my sorority, and study piano.

Every day at the Center brings new challenges as well as fun, educational, and meaningful experiences. I'm so grateful to be back and to be a part of all the wonderful things the Holocaust Center has going on! 



PHILIP KIKAWA
         
Hello everyone -


My name is Philip Kikawa and this is my first summer working at the Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center. Come the fall, I will be starting my junior year as a History major at Roger Williams University in Bristol Rhode Island.

At Roger Williams I have taken several courses on World War II in Europe and the Pacific - the most interesting one being a one-on-one study of the US Navy in the Pacific. This coming semester I will be taking several courses on the war in Europe and the Holocaust. When I am not working I enjoy skiing, fishing, sailing and reading.

At the Center, I am currently working on several projects including transcribing survivor testimonies and organizing educational material. The work I have been doing here has been immensely rewarding and enjoyable. I am looking forward to incorporating what I am learning to my education at collage.

The experiences I have gained working at the center have been fun, challenging, interesting and important and it is a great pleasure to be working with such a passionate group of individuals.


SOPHIE JONES


Hi all!

My name is Sophie Jones and I am the newest intern at the Washington State Holocaust Education Resource Center. I have been fortunate enough to work with the Holocaust Center through Teens In Public Service; a local organization that awards summer internships to high school students across the region.

Come fall, I will be a senior at Roosevelt High School. I have served on the staff of The Roosevelt News for two years and next year I will assume the role of head editor. I am also committed to the Hands for a Bridge program at Roosevelt, a nonprofit that works to promote social justice and bring South Africans together despite the lasting effects of Apartheid. Outside of school, I volunteer regularly with NARAL Pro-Choice Washington, the local branch of a nationwide organization dedicated to women’s rights and reproductive health.

I couldn't be more excited for my summer with the Holocaust Center. I look forward to being a part of such a fantastic team of dedicated individuals, and I’m eager to learn more about both the history of the Holocaust and the Center’s work.



No comments:

Post a Comment