"Studying the Holocaust changed the way I make decisions." - Student

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What is your connection to the Holocaust?

First of all, we would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who either attend or helped with the luncheon yesterday!  It was a great success!

At our luncheon, we asked people to write down how they were connected to the Holocaust.  Below are just a few of the many diverse responses we received:

  • My husband lost his entire family in the Holocaust.  I now help him tell the history of who and how this happened -- to educate the generations.
  • I studied the Holocaust with my students.  I am drawn, with empathy and compassion, to that time.
  • I have several friends whose families were living during the Holocaust.  My friend, George, left Czech. in 1939 and is here today.
  • I get to work firsthand with the Speakers Bureau at the Holocaust
  • I can think of 6 x 10^6 reasons...
  • My Aunt Rivka Almeleh Avzavadel, sister of my father, "Pinky" Pirikas Almeleh, was taken by the Nazis from "Rhodos" -- the Island of Rhodes in the Greek Isles, in 1944.  I never knew my Aunt.
  • Many were left behind.  I am grateful to be alive and to tell the story of my brave ancestors.  Both of my parents escaped, searately, and came to the US in 1938 from Germany.
  • My grandmother's family, from Poland, were killed, as were my grandfather's parents. My husband also lost many family members.
  • I am a survivor
  • My mother, uncle, and grandmother were members of la Resistance in Paris and rescuers..
  • I was a student of the Holocaust, and today I teach my students about this history.
  • My father was in the Norwegian Resistance movement working to help Jews across to Sweden when the Nazis took over his country.
  • I am a Jew and a human being
  • I donated through my youth Mitzfah fund because I felt that they don't teach this in school.
  • Those who survived and those who didn't are in my heart
  • I teach my MS students about genocide and the Holocaust. Then my students teach the world!
  • I lead tours to Rwanda
  • Both my parents survived
  • I am on the Board of the Center, and work for equality in my workplace for people of all races, gender, religion, and other areas of diversity.
  • I was touched by a speaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment