"Studying the Holocaust changed the way I make decisions." - Student

Monday, October 19, 2009

Students write letters to synagogues defaced with graffiti

Students at Alternative School #1 in Seattle wrote letters to the congregants of the synagogues defaced with antisemitic graffiti.

(See entry, "Swastikas painted on Seattle synagogues.")

Josephine Cripps is one of the Holocaust Center's master teachers and frequent consultant to the Holocaust Center's educational programming and materials.

Excerpts from the students' letters:

Dear Sephardic Bikur Holim Congregation,

My name is S. and I'm in the Holocaust studies class at Alternative School #1. Recently my teacher Jo gave us an article to read. I read the article and learned that two of your synagogues had been defaces by images of swastikas. I also learned that some of the nearby houses had also been vandalized. This fact outrages me...This sort of thing should not be happening in Seattle or anywhere else....


Dear Sephardic Bikur Holim Congregation,

...I never really thought that antisemitism existed in Washington until now. I am so sorry. I know that if someone painted hate symbols on my home I would fee awful. Not only would I feel awful, but also scared. I wish that I could say that I know what its like, but I don't. And I can't even start thinking of how you must feel. I am outraged. It makes me so upset that people think it's okay to disrespect others, but in such a way like this...well, it's absolutely horrible. I want you to know that you are in my prayers...

Dear Bikur Cholim,

My name is D. I have recently heard about the swastika graffiti that has vandalized your synagogue and I am agitated by that, but also deeply sorry. I am studying the Holocaust in school so I know what that symbol symbolizes. I am really, really sorry. I do hope that it doesn't happen to anyone again....


Dear Sephardic Bikur Holim Congregation,

Though I haven't experienced any hate crimes against me, I can only imagine how it feels having swastikas painted on your synagogue and homes. It is most likely a terrifying and infuriating experience. Keep in mind that though there may be ignorant people who do uncivil acts of hatred towards your religion, lots of people in Seattle care about this issue and re more than willing to support you, including me.


Dear Sephardic Bikur Holim Congregation,

My name is J. I am writing to let you know I stand by your side. I live right in your neighborhood. I feel that you need support. So you will get it. I am studying the Holocaust at Alternative School #1. I will stop at nothing to help. I will write to see how you're doing, and if you choose you can write back. I am one of your neighbors. My twin and I will keep an eye out and report anything suspicious to the police.

14 comments:

  1. My child is an AS#1 student. The emotions this news brought to him is evident. Our prayers are with you as our world continues to struggle with racial, ethnic, religious and moral lines.
    Peace Be With You.

    A Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of the students who have acted against hatred. Your rational voices--your words of truth--are the best possible weapons in the struggle against hate. Students, you have brought hatred into the open, exposed it for what it is, and made clear to our whole community that positive change begins with us.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just read the students' letters and hope they will keep writing and speaking out. We need more youngsters with their character and intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm wondering how the students are feeling in the wake of the recent Swiss ban on minarets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my name is Andrew Looke and i attend AS1 I recently heard about the vote to stop the consrution of minerets in switzerland it makes me furious that such an act of oppression would occur to a religious minority. it was very surprising to hear that 57.5% of the population would vote for such a ridiculous law.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am one of the students that wrote the letters, and I wanted to write an answer to your question.
    First of all, I think it is awful what Switzerland's doing to the Muslims that have immigrated to their country. I feel it’s unfair that 57.5% of Switzerland's population voted to cease the construction of minarets. I personally think that the minarets were banned because the approximately 6% of the population of which are Muslims that practice the Islamic Faith make the people, who don’t also practice it, uncomfortable. Thus, by removing the minarets, the majority of the Swiss population is making the Muslim immigrants not only feel uncomfortable in return but also unwelcomed.
    Therefore, I strongly disagree with the decision to remove the minarets and want to do something about it. Today in class, my classmates and I were talking about ways we can help when the idea of letters came up. I think it would be very cool to write letters, because just like what we did with the synagogues that were defaced, we can give sympathy to the victims and tell what our opinions are towards the people who have decided to ban the minarets.
    Thank you so much for your question,
    E

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was the student who wrote the first letter in the article. When I read the comment about the swiss ban on minarets I thought "what's a minaret?" so i looked it up and it's a tower on top of a mosque. When I found that out I wondered why the Swiss government would do something like this and as far as I can see there is no legitimate reason for doing this. I think it was appalling and disrespectful to all muslims in Switzerland. I think this was an attempt to drive all the muslims out of switzerland. This act (if comited for this reason) is completely irresponsible and coldhearted thing to do to a whole group of people just because they have a different belief sytem than you! And for the person who asked the question about the Swiss ban on minarets about how I feel. And thank you for you question by the way.
    sincerely S

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anonymous,
    I am also a student who wrote one of the letters. At first I did not know what a minaret was, but when I looked into the whole situation, I was practically speechless!
    I believe the reason Switzerland made this law was to discourage Muslims from coming to their country and the Swiss found that the best way to accomplish that was to ban minarets. So, how do I feel about this topic? To be frank, the banning is just inhumane and disrespectful to Muslim society.
    -M

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a student who sent one of the letters. I was appalled when i learned that Switzerland banded minarets, i learned that 57.5% of the people voted to band the minarets. I think that the Swiss made the law to make the Muslims uncomfortable and unwelcome.
    -P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello. I am the last letter on this blog. I think that the Swiss should let minarets be built. Because it is a religious building. It is very dissapointing. People should rember that a religioun is not a race, but a comeing of people who practice a certain beliefe

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello i am an altenitive school #1 student i heard about the swiss vote on sunday it is cruel that the swiss took religous rights away

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the students at AS1 will take their outrage a step further. I hope they will communicate with Swiss officials and let them know that, across the world, people are standing in support of Swiss Muslims. No matter where it occurs, or to whom, injustice is never acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings. I am Diego Torres and I am a Holocaust Studies student at Alternative School #1. I have recently read about the Swedish ban of building minarets- tall slender towers attached to mosques- and I am very shocked about this devastating act of ignorance. I can not be speechless because there is so much that needs to be said. Not allowing Muslims to build minarets is preventing them from practicing there religion, and for no good reason as well! We hate seeing things like this happen, but we can't stop them alone. If people stop comitting these acts of hate then everything would be a bit better. There are only four minarets and Quite a lot of Muslims in Sweden. How would they like it if someone stopped them from practicing what they believe in? I am really devastated about this all.

    With all due respect,
    Diego Torres

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, well I've searched and searched. I've found names but had trouble finding addresses.
    What should I do to take the next step?
    I'm thinking letters will be more affective then communicating by E-mail...
    So basically I need a way to find addresses of some swiss officials.

    ReplyDelete